Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Politically Correct

I really want people to post their opinions on this post. It's something that I have noticed and been thinking about a lot recently now that I am in the workplace. No opinion will be singled out and scrutinized, so say whatever you'd like.
I don't know if this post will really cause that much of a problem, but I never know how people will react.
And I honestly don't care.

Now for the post.

I am tired of people getting so bent out of shape if I tell them "Merry Christmas".
You could easily say thank you, or not say anything.
But do you really need to give me a lecture about how you're jewish/atheist/whatever?
Yes, I get it. I could say Happy Holidays. But I celebrate Christmas. That is the holiday that I choose to acknowledge.
And Hanukkah. Hanukkah is also completely legitimate to me.

Atheists are the ones that get under my skin, and this is where the real problem comes from.
If you are an atheist, you do not believe in a higher power. You believe that this is it.
(Which is ridiculous to me, but that's a completely different story.)
So why is it if I say "Merry Christmas", you feel the need to get COMPLETELY OFFENDED about it and tell me in detail about why Christmas is stupid and there is no God?
Why? Who am I hurting by saying Merry Christmas? If you don't believe in anything, then there should be NO issue there. You are honestly just trying to fight and cause a scene when you cuss me out for saying Merry Christmas when you don't even believe in God.

When someone tells me they're atheist, I don't lecture them on it. That is their belief. I don't agree with it, but it's not my place to try to thrust God into their life.
We disagree, that's it.
So why is it when I tell an atheist that I'm a Christian, they feel the need to tell me exactly why I'm "wrong" in my beliefs?
I don't tell YOU that, why do you need to tell ME that?

The billboards popping up around the country are very offensive to me. The pro-atheist billboards.Why are you trying SO HARD to convert people to atheism? What does that achieve, other than hurting the people that do believe in God?
I actually cried when I saw one of those billboards. Not because I'm some crazy Christian, but because with my doubts and fears of death, seeing something telling me there is no God sucked all of the hope out of me.
Whoever organized those billboards should be ashamed, because they are very hurtful and even terrifying to people that have a crippling fear of death/doubts about their faith.

So during the holidays, stop shoving your atheism down my throat if I say "Merry Christmas". Say thanks and walk away, or else you're just trying to cause a scene.

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I completely agree. I also find it ironic that Atheism is becoming a religion in of itself.

Erin said...

I agree with you too. I say Merry Christmas because I am a Christian. If a Jewish person told me, "Happy Hannukah!" I wouldn't be upset or offended in the least. To each his own, I believe.

Anonymous said...

I think I usually say "Happy Holidays" but I don't know why...I'm Catholic, I celebrate Christmas. As one of my Hindu friends said to me one time "Christmas is an American holiday" (I did get on her case about that one since my favorite part of the holiday is going to church Christmas eve, but she does have something of a point). Lots of people celebrate Christmas in the sense that they exchange gifts and decorate and there are radio stations that play pretty much nothing but Christmas music from Thanksgiving until Christmas so there really shouldn't be a problem with "Merry Christmas." The phrase "Merry Christmas" pretty much has the connotation of "Happy Holidays" anyway...If any of that makes any sense I'll be happy...It's finals week...Yeah...

Amander said...

If someone said "Happy Winter Solstice" or "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Merry Christmas" to me...I think I would treat them all about the same. I would just say, "Thanks, you too!"

Not to mention, in America, PLENTY of non-Christians celebrate Christmas. I have a co-worker who is agnostic/atheist and she loves Christmas. People need to chill out with freaking out if you wish them a Merry Christmas.

Wendyburd1 said...

I totally agree with you Lee! First, I DO hate that billboard, since when IS atheism a religion?! So why promote it?

And you know what, it is a nice thing when you are wishing someone a Merry Christmas. I don't care what religion you are, it is a nicety and you can just say thanks or nothing. My sisters friend is a Jehovahs witness and gets offended if I say God Bless You and such...it is ridiculous, I was trying to be nice!!

If someone wished me a Happy ANYTHING I would smile in the least! They are being happy and polite! Say Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Those billboards are ridiculous.

And it bothers me so much when people feel they need to shove their views down other people's throats. I'm open minded. I understand that people believe different things. That's great. That's what makes our country an awesome place to live-the diversity and freedom to be different. But why do some people take their beliefs to the extreme and think they need to convert everyone they meet?

Mrs. M said...

Hasn't happened to me fortunately.

Merry Christmas, Lee. Merry Christmas!

Sheri, RN said...

First I'd like to say... Merry Christmas! :)

Those billboards are laughable. I don't see why they are trying to "convert" people if it isn't a religion which they try so hard to not be, right? Hypocrisy at its best.

I bet those same atheists that cause a scene are all too happy to accept presents during CHRISTMAS and maybe give some to others too. Again, hypocrite! They just want to get attention I think.

I used to live in Orlando, FL and a little to the east by the beach. People there celebrated Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, whatever else there is. I remember at work we had to say Happy Holidays just in case but most said Merry Christmas lol There were some atheists I ran into too but they generally were just like "yeah whatever."

Now I live in the "bible belt" in the "south" and what a difference! Everyone here pretty much celebrates Christmas and is well Baptist (I was raised Catholic though I don't really classify myself as any type now)). Nobody really even tries to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas and I haven't ran into an atheist at all.

Now if only those people gave better tips during Christmas time... lol :)

blournalist said...

What if everyone said "Happy Hanukka" to you for a couple weeks straight every year? Nice enough, but at some point, your polite "thank you" might eventually turn into a polite "I'm not Jewish, but thank you" if for no other reason than you start to feel a little... what, guilty? Not unlike the horribly awkward, "Oh, thanks for thinking of me, but it's not my birthday."

So, after wishing a random "Happy Hanukka" to someone, a reasonably sentient well-wisher would probably be left thinking, "Ooh, that was kind of presumptuous of me, wasn't it?"

And it was.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi!

I grew up in Austin, so everyone was always sensitive and PC.

I always say Merry Christmas. :)

throuthehaze said...

I am actually atheist and when people tell me Merry Christmas I either say it back or say thanks. They are wishing me well so why get bent out of shape about it. Of course maybe that's just me though because I don't even see Christmas as being much of a religious holiday...other people may see it as religion being shoved down their throat. As for the sign, I don't see how it is any more offensive than all the signs I have seen promoting Christianity. To each his own.

Brandi. said...

I've never actually had anyone get mad at me for saying "Merry Christmas" to them. I celebrate Christmas, but I don't believe in religion. Maybe that makes me a hypocrate or whatever. To me, Christmas is more about family than Jesus. I believe in God, but that's between me and Him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...