Sunday, April 5, 2009

Don't Know What You Got (Til It's Gone)

My sense of taste has been gone on and off for the past two days.
I never really think about my sense of taste until I'm hungry, where it leads me to whatever it is I'm hungry for.
But when you have no sense of taste, you play a game in your mind.
"Should I eat this, even though I can't taste?"
"Should I just eat whatever, since I can't taste it anyway?"
"Should I even bother to eat?"
I pretty much have to fill my nose with nasal spray, and then drain it.
And then fill it, and then drain it.
And then I can taste for 5 minutes before it gets congested again.

Probably explains why I've finally dropped under 120.
119.2
The CDC website says this is a healthy weight for me, but I can't exactly trust that.
My mom says that if I hit 118, I have to go to a hospital, and there's no way that I want that.
But I can't stand to eat when I can't taste it. It feels like chewing cardboard.
And the ritual of draining my nose winds up with my bleeding, so I can't do it that often.

So let's recap.
I want this:
This is what I taste:
Anyone got any good remedies for congestion?
Because as appetizing as that cardboard pizza may look, it definitely does not go down smoothly.

Gotta love the blotchy skin, huh?

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Congestion is the worst! And that pizza looks SOOOOO good!

Anonymous said...

OMG w/ the cardboard pizza! Love it!

And that orange shirt you're wearing!

yeah, you do not look happy girl. Just eat lots of chicken noodle soup and crackers.

Have you ever thought about throwing away your scale? I used to be obsessed w/ my weight...then I got rid of my scale-problem solved. Now I have no idea what I way.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe i totally just spelled "weigh" "way"...WTH is wrong w/ me?!?! Please forgive me.

Sheri, RN said...

Ugh I hear ya! I've gone through almost 2 whole boxes of tissues since I've been sick. Bleh! I'm taking a medicine called Contac and sucking on lots of cough drops. I haven't found a cure for the congestion either though, if you find one let me know!

That pic of the cardboard pizza was awesome! LOL

I check my weight way too much too (like everytime I go into the bathroom). Now that I've lost "some" weight I don't want to gain it back, but the scale isn't going much lower so it just annoys me. :( Being sick though it is natural to lose some weight that usually gets gained back once you're well again. So, your Mom should understand that if it goes to 118 or so that is why.

I hope you get well soon ::virtual flowers::

Bobby G said...

CARDBOARD PIZZA IS DELICIOUS! LOL

Jesus girl! Get better!

Wendyburd1 said...

Hot soup not only tastes good, but the steam works at your congestion, which is why some people get runny noses when eating hot soup, so I think you should give soup a shot!

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon. It's awful not being able to taste food.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...