Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fun with Gourds!

So for Thanksgiving, we wanted some cute decorations for our table.
We cooked and everything all day to get ready for tomorrow, but I took some time to make these gourd candles.
They were pretty... well not easy. They're easy in theory. If you're good with carving, they're still easy. But if you're trying not to slice your finger off, they're not terribly simple.
Here's the directions in case you want to take a crack at them for your holiday table!
What you need: Gourds of different shapes and sizes. The ones shown were the easiest to cut and stayed in place.
Different sized sturdy knives, depending on what you're comfortable with. I used a pairing knife, and a serrated knife for the stems.
Tea-light candles
A pencil/biscuit cutter
Newspaper
A spoon/melon-baller

Set out the newspapers on your workspace for easy cleanup.
Try to find a biscuit cutter that is approximately the same size as the tea-light (left in metal holder). Use the biscuit cutter to carve a circle into the top of the gourd.
If you can't find a biscuit cutter, just trace with a pencil around the tea-light on top of the gourd.
Use your knife to cut away at the needed opening. Usually the stem won't come off very easily. Don't worry about how deeply you cut into the gourd.
Cut out the circle-shaped portion that you drew on top of the gourd. (At that point I had to use a hammer and my knife to get the stem off. But you may have better luck.)
Clean up the inner edge where the candle will sit. Use the melon-baller or spoon to empty out the gourd of seeds and other guts.
Clean up the outside of the gourd with a paper-towel.
Take the tea-light and press it into the hole you made. If it doesn't fit, use your knife to carve it out until the candle does fit.
Be careful not to push it too far in. Push the candle in until it fits snuggly.
Voila, gourd-candle holder.


So, this year we're not having turkey.This is what we're having. A pork crown roast. I'm actually very excited about it. I'm not big on turkey. (But I'll show you what I AM fond of in a minute.)
I spent all day in the kitchen with my mom preparing the food for tomorrow. It better be good!

But, I have found what I could have a million times over. I wish my Thanksgiving meal was just a platter of these:It's called "The Bobbie". It's from this sub shop Capriotti's. It's fresh turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and mayonnaise. Sounds nasty, tastes freaking amazing. We had them at the honor's society induction, and I had 3. They had 4 platters, so no one really cared.
Anyway, I hope everyone has a great, stuffing Thanksgiving! I'll be sure to post pics of our lovely table.

8 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Those are cute and fun! I can only imagine how hard they would to carve out.

I honestly wish my family would ditch the whole turkey concept and do Steak. What!?! Who doesn't like a good steak and baked potato?

Kristina P. said...

Lee, those gourds are adorable!

I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

The gourd candles are very cute! I'll have to try that next year as a centerpiece.

Hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving. The food sounds so good! Hope you enjoy!

Jillene said...

How cute are those!? I bet they were hard suckers to carve out!!

Have an AMAZING Thanksgiving!!

Daphine said...

Wow! The gourd candles look GREAT!

Have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!

Erin said...

So is Capriotti's in Vegas? I just moved to southern Utah, and haven't been to Vegas since I was nine. I LOVE sandwiches. I'll have to make a mental note to look it up when I go there.

Those gourds are cool too!

Angela said...

Cool gourds! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thursday is just another day here in Canada as we celebrated our Thanksgiving in October...but I'll be envious of you while I have a most busy day ahead.

Wendyburd1 said...

We served a classier version of that sammie at the place I waitressed at, Weezie is an awesome chef and improved it when she took over! I never ate it, cranberry ew, but it was a beautiful sandwich!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...